All activities related to client relationships, project scope definition and cost estimating with a focus in the area of bulk material handling projects. Full time position with competitive salary and benefits package.
Technical background in engineering (structural or mechanical) and estimating OR a ticketed tradesperson with demonstrated MS Office skills.
3-5 years field experience and 2-3 years estimating experience. Experience in bulk material handling systems and/or experience as an installation contractor in heavy industry is considered a strong asset. Exposure to plant facilities, commodity ports and terminals, heavy equipment/machinery or maintenance of facility operating equipment is beneficial.
- Lead estimating activities for primarily supply & installation construction projects in the industrial sector (typical value range: $100k – $5m)
- Participate or lead complete project proposal packages in response to RFPs
- Meet with existing and potential clients and develop new project opportunities
- Develop business relationships with suppliers and sub-contractors
- Read construction drawings, prepare quantity take-offs and issue RFQs to subcontractors
- Evaluate and analyze subcontractor quotes
- Propose creative value engineering solutions
- Continue to develop improved methods to cost and price projects (estimating tools)
- Continue to develop a risk/cost model for fixed price projects
- Work with the project managers to develop execution methodology/approach for new projects
- Evaluate the technical design, schedule, cost coding and structure of projects and develop benchmarks for the estimating of similar project scopes
- Identify opportunities for improving material handling designs and standards
- Manage, lead or sponsor projects when necessary and appropriate
- Interface with field staff and identify capabilities and resources to support estimating costs
- Experience with estimating software; i.e. Hard Dollar is an asset
- Strong proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Time management, prioritization, multitasking and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to be detail oriented and analytical in problem solving
- Self-motivated with an ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Ability to analyze project data and production rates
- Full driver’s license required for site visits